What is it?
Office 365 is a cloud-based, off-site email, calendaring, storage, and collaboration suite from Microsoft. UNC currently uses an on-site Microsoft Exchange system for your email and calendar. Office 365 joins your email, calendar, file storage and Office applications together into one easy-to-access solution. And, it will look & feel just like what you’re used to now with Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.!
Why is it better?
- More email storage (Outlook) and file storage (OneDrive)
- Better collaboration options (browser-based editing & sharing)
- Stronger physical and digital security for your information
- 24/7/365 accessibility from anywhere with network connectivity
- Complements the technology environment at UNC-Chapel Hill
- Office applications are automatically updated from the cloud
|Features||Office 365||Current UNC Environment|
|Email Storage||50 GB plus unlimited archive storage space||2 GB|
|File Storage||1 TB of OneDrive file storage (for personal or work use, and more secure than Dropbox)||None|
|File Sharing||Yes, with those internal to UNC||No|
|File Collaboration||With Microsoft Online Apps using SharePoint and/or OneDrive||None|
|Licenses for Office installations||5 on desktop computers (including personal devices)
5 on mobile devices (tablets and smart phones)
|1 per work machine (no personal devices)|
|Automatic Updates for Office||Yes, all Office applications updated from the cloud||No|