Purchasing Logoed Merchandise
All purchases of University-logoed merchandise must be made from University-licensed vendors. Orders for such merchandise must be approved by the University’s Trademarks and Licensing Office.
The term “logo” can refer to names, verbiage, graphic marks, symbols, landmarks or other protected assets associated with the University (complete list).
Manufacturers of University-logoed merchandise pay the University a royalty for use of UNC logos. Revenue generated from this program is used to provide financial aid to UNC students. If the merchandise is for internal, University consumption, the licensed vendor will not have to pay a royalty. However, if the merchandise is for resale, including resale within a group or department, even as a fundraiser, royalties must be paid. The licensed vendor will build the royalties into the quoted price and coordinate the necessary payment.
The successful outcome of this procedure is an authorization to purchase the desired merchandise with instructions regarding design, royalty status and any additional, required information. The following steps are involved.
- Develop the design: See the stylesheet section of this website for general guidelines on design.
- Submit the design to the Office of Trademarks and Licensing via email at email@example.com with the following information:
- Your name and contact information
- University department or group purchasing the merchandise
- Type(s) of merchandise being purchased
- Potential vendor(s)
- The Office of Trademarks and Licensing will provide written approval or additional guidance.
- Order the merchandise from an approved vendor.