The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was established in 1789. Over the years, as traditions began and evolved, a variety of logos (symbols or designs), verbiage (words, names, phrases or groups of letters), and landmarks came to signify the University. The purpose of this website is to give you information about those protected marks of the University and how they can be used.

The University, like virtually all other institutions and businesses in the United States, has developed policies controlling the use of trademark language and logos because these marks symbolize its purpose, values and traditions. In addition, when businesses make use of these marks to generate revenues, the University shares in the proceeds through its Trademark Licensing Program. At Carolina, 100% of the net proceeds from the licensing program is used to help fund need-based and merit-based scholarships.

The language and logos protected by the University include, but are not limited to, the words “University of North Carolina,” “North Carolina,” “Carolina,” “UNC,” “Tar Heels,” “Heels” and logos of the Old Well, the University seal, the interlocking NC, the Tar Heel foot and the Strutting Ram.

If you have questions about using any of these marks, please refer to the appropriate category in this site, or contact the Director of Trademarks and Licensing at or 919-962-2403.

Student groups are designated as “affiliated” by the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs through the activities office of Carolina Union. As organizations, they may use University marks for identification and fund raising within the framework of applicable University policy.

Printed materials — including but not limited to signs, brochures, handbills, advertisements, banners and handouts — for use on campus do not need prior approval as long as uses of University marks are in accordance with the Stylesheet. Materials bearing University marks which will be distributed off campus must either be printed by Student Stores Printing, or be approved in advance and in writing by the Office of Trademarks and Licensing.

Affiliated student groups may place University marks on websites on University-owned servers, in accordance with University policy regarding websites.

Affiliated student groups may purchase merchandise bearing University marks but, all such purchases must be from licensed manufacturers. See the list of Local Printers that have expressed a willingness to produce special-order merchandise for campus groups. These vendors will submit your designs to the Trademarks and Licensing Office for approval. In general, the use of a University mark along with your organization’s name or special event will receive approval.

If the merchandise is for the student members of the organization, the vendor will not have to pay royalties on the items. This should be reflected in the price to the organization. If the merchandise is for resale, even as a fund-raiser for charity, royalties will need to be paid.

Student Organization Quick Fact Sheet

In order for a business–which includes individuals–to make a commercial use of the University’s name or any of its other marks, that business must have permission to do so. Permission must be acquired either by a formal contract with the University or by obtaining a license through the University’s licensing agent, The Collegiate Licensing Company. Contractual permissions are specialized and are negotiated through the University’s attorneys, and therefore are not covered on this website.

The University directs The Collegiate Licensing Company (CLC) to contract with a limited number of producers in order to make goods bearing University marks available for retail sale to the public. CLC issues licensing agreements for a limited number of suppliers in each of a broad range of merchandise categories. Both the business and the individual products that business produces must be approved in advance and in writing; when so approved the business becomes a “Licensee” and the individual products become “Licensed Products.”

The University, also through CLC, licenses on a very restricted basis the promotional use of University marks.

The normal steps in obtaining a license include the following:

  1. A preliminary assessment, first, of the ability of the business to produce and distribute goods in accordance with University expectations; and second, of the market demand and competition levels for the envisioned goods;
  2. The signing of a contract between CLC and the business;
  3. Approval steps for each individual design.

If you are interested in obtaining a retail license, which allows you to produce goods bearing University marks, or a promotional license, which allows you to use University marks, you should contact Brittany Peisel at Collegiate Licensing Company using the Contact Us section.

Individuals who make any commercial use whatsoever of University marks, of images (photographic or otherwise) of campus scenes or individuals, or of University songs are subject to the applicable requirements in the Businesses section of this website.
University departments may use most of the University marks in situations that indicate University ownership, sponsorship or participation, including but not limited to publications and other documents; stationery; signage; advertising for the department’s services; equipment and supplies; and websites. All such uses must be in accordance with any other applicable University policy, such as that regarding websites. Individuals employed in University departments may use University marks in accordance with the guidelines found in the Individuals section of this website.

Departments may not use University marks in conjunction with those of commercial entities without either explicit, written permission from Trademarks and Licensing, or an approved University contract providing for such uses.

Use of The University Seal (Latin version) in gold, gold leaf or gold foil must be authorized by the University Registrar or by the Office of the Chancellor.

University departments may purchase goods bearing University marks. Please refer to Purchasing Logoed Merchandise for additional information on this process.

Any non-commercial organization which is neither part of, nor affiliated with, the University must obtain permission in advance and in writing to use University marks.

Exception: Organizations may use the University’s name as a geographical reference point as long as such use does not produce confusion as to whether that organization is in any way associated with the University.


  • UNC Logo Sheet April 2015
  • UNC Licensee List April 2015
  • UNC Licensees by Product Category April 2015
  • Contact Us

    Trademarks and Licensing
    Derek Lochbaum, Director
    15 Lenoir Hall, CB #1500

    Retail and Promotional Licensing Information
    Collegiate Licensing Company
    Brittany Peisel